I fell in love with Aunty Yochana the moment I “stepped” into her site.
The recipes that she shared are simply oh so great!
And so today… We shall explore her other recipes… Which is…. *drum rolls* the buttermilk cake! Come.. Let’s follow Aunty Yochana in baking this very simple yet tasty cake!
Buttermilk Country Cake
Adapted from Aunty Yochana.
80gm egg yolks
5gm (1tsp) vanilla
200gm sifted cake flour
15gm baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
120gm unsalted butter (softened)
1. In a bowl, lightly combine the yolks with 40ml of buttermilk.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 30sec to blend.
3. Add the butter and the remaining buttermilk.Mix on low speed until all the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to medium speed and continue to hit for 2min to aerate and develop the cake’s structure.
4. Gradually add in the egg yolk mixture and beat for another min.
5. Pour the batter into a 8″ round pan and bake for abt 50min at 175°C or till skewer inserted comes out clean.
6. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10min then invert and cool on a cooling rack.
One really awesome fact about this cake is that it’s very very forgiving! Best-served warm. (: Keep in air-tight container to ensure freshness!